I almost decided to re-record this episode but then I noticed that it was 1:08:01 (108 forward and backwards!) and I finished saying “One hour and eight minutes” right at 1:08! The universe approved!
00:00 – Introduction
01:30 – The new calendar I created for myself
- Flow and Dream time post “1.1.1 – Flow and Dream Time (FDT)”
- It’s all cycles. 108-day cycles, then 108 cycles of 108 day cycles (108.108 or 36 years), then 108 cycles of 108 cycles of 108-day cycles (108.108.108 or 3,888 years). The math is 1 cycle takes ⅓ of a year so 108 * ⅓ = 36 years and then 36 * 108 = 3,888 years.
- There are roughly 12 days in between each cycle to reflect and plan making them roughly 120 days. This is how they comfortably fit inside of 365 days.
- The end of Cycle 1 (1.108.108) will be in 2054 (2*54 is 108 🙂 ), I’ll be 75 years old. The end of Cycle 2 (2.108.108) will be in 2090, I’ll be 111… maybe I can make it!
04:46 – Why 108 days?
- 108 evolved from quarterly planning. I got the idea for doing 90-day cycles from a post from Taylor Pearson titled “Antifragile Planning: Optimizing for Optionality (Without Chasing Shiny Objects)”. It’s a very detailed system and worth reading if you want to get ideas for your own system.
- Here’s the handwritten journal entry and photo post that accidentally started the 108-day cycles “Day 1: Flow to Your Dream”. The final post, “Day 108 – Being Bipolar is a NeverEnding Startup”, is a cringey application to a mobile only startup accelerator. At the time I didn’t know the difference between an accelerator and an incubator. I should have been looking for an incubator.
07:15 – Why the number 108?
- I have no idea what post I saw on Quora, but here’s a bunch of answers to the question “What is so special about the number “108”?”
- I continue talking about why 108 days.
11:36 – Taiwan’s calendar…
…aka The Republic of China calendar (Chinese: 中華民國曆) or Minguo calendar (Chinese: 民國紀年) from Wikipedia
- 2021 = 110 Minguo, 2019 = 108 or 1.1.1 Flow and Dream Time
13:22 – Time and Calendars Rant… lol
- Side story about Laurel Hubbard (Wikipedia), first trans women selected to compete in the Olympics and how it led to hearing the term “colonial (linguistic) violence”, what appears to be a branch of “linguistic imperialism” (Wikipedia). I found one paper titled “Linguistic Imperialism: Colonial Violence through Language” (PDF) if you’re REALLY interested. Here’s the Instagram post that started the discussion on Facebook.
- Workweek and weekend on Wikipedia. It has its history and how it’s practiced around the world.
19:32 – Going in deeper into the number 108
- Live Action Role-Playing game (LARP) on Wikipedia. I’m LARPing in the 108 Universe.
- The Sexagenary cycle (Wikipedia) aka Stems-and-Branches. It’s where the Xinhai in Xinhai Revolution comes from.
Casey’s bootleg history of 108.
- Yellow River Shamanism
- Yu the Great
- The blending of religious ideas (Shamanism, Taoism, Buddhism, and Confucianism) until the fall of the Qing dynasty
- Those ideas evolving into the Republic of China
- Those ideas fleeing to Taiwan as the Cultural Revolution destroyed “The Four Olds” (Old Ideas, Old Culture, Old Habits, and Old Customs)
- 108 and Flowism
28: 35 – 108 Zip Code Wanhua District (Wikipedia)
- I’m going to have to do a blog post about Wanhua graffiti, but here’s a blog post with some visuals for now.
32:01 – Pan-African Flag Emoji, Flags, and Symbols
- 道 from Daoism in Red, Black, and Green (Instagram) Instagram accounts of photographer and models are at the bottom of the post
- Blog post about this history of the colors for Kenya “BLACK, RED AND GREEN: The story behind the Kenyan flag”
- History of Flags (Wikipedia)
- The Eight Banners (Wikipedia) were administrative and military divisions under the Later Jin and the Qing dynasty of China into which all Manchu households were placed.
43:40 – Shamanism, Taoism and 108
- Correction: 108 degrees is the inside angle of a pentagon, not a pentagram
- 6 (touch, taste, hearing, seeing, smelling, consciousness) * 3 (pleasant, painful, neutral) * 2 (internal or external) * (past, present, future) = 108
52:55 – About Flow to Your Dream and this podcast
- “The Five Percenters: Islam, Hip-hop and the Gods of New York” (Amazon)
Thanks for listening! ❤️
I love feedback! Comment and say hey! Tell me what you like. Tell me what you hated. Tell me what you’d like me to talk about next.